The sign on the door may say we’re closed, but don’t let that trick you into thinking we’re taking a long holiday! Between virtual staff meetings and projects to tackle both in the gallery and from our homes, we’ve got big plans for the next few months. Read on for a glimpse behind the scenes …
Top of our to-do list: inventory all the art that remains in the gallery (including the cache of treasures in the basement!). Seeing what’s left over from an exhibit teaches us a lot about what connects our artists to our collectors. It also helps our artists with their own inventories as they go about applying for other opportunities like juried exhibitions, grants and residencies. A thorough inventory will also help us relaunch our online storefront – a project we are super excited about. The new shop will be a much more inviting experience, providing visitors with the opportunity to preview what a piece of art would look like in their space. Can’t wait to hear more? Make sure you’re subscribed to Love Notes (our monthly newsletter) and that you follow us on Instagram!
Next up: exhibit planning. Did you know we host 7-8 exhibits every year? Some are perennial favorites, like the Holiday Show, while some are brand new. There are always details to work on, from making arrangements with artists to handling delivery of artwork, plush making sure we have great photos of everything for the online exhibits too. The biannual woodworking show will be our first full exhibit after the Young Voices exhibit (more on that in a minute). “Contemporary Wood” takes place every other year and is always a collector’s favorite! Opening Day is Saturday, April 16th – we’ll be sending out postcard invitations soon, so keep an eye out for those.
Last but certainly not least, classes and workshops are back at the 1+1=1 classroom! We’re keeping these experiences as safe we can, and we’re glad we can teach our young artists in person. Twenty kids are enrolled in our youth art classes, which started Monday, January 24th. There are four classes with five kids per class, and ages range from six to twelve. A handful of other lucky kids will spend one-on-one studio time with Maureen on Saturdays, and a few spaces are still available for those one-on-ones if your child is interested!
The work these budding young artists create over the next two months (as well as work from our Fall art series) will be featured in our first 2022 student art exhibit, Young Voices. Want to contribute to some deserving local non-profit organizations while also giving a giant boost to some amazing young artists? 75% of every sale during Young Voices benefits three local non-profits chosen by the artists – the remaining 25% goes to the artists themselves. Stay tuned over the next few months as we share more about the process of putting together the Young Voices show, including the kids’ pitches for which organizations will be the recipients of the proceeds! Young Voices opens Saturday, March 19th, and runs through April 9th.
That’s all for this dispatch, but make sure to stay tuned for more behind the scenes updates throughout the spring. You can find all the best ways to keep in touch here, on our website!