Our Fall 2021 art sessions are in a series of 9 weeks spread over September, October and November on weekdays after school. We will also have a winter series in January, February and March, culminating in our 6th Annual Young Voices student art exhibit at 1+!=1 Gallery.
After reading this post, if you would like to register your child for one of our art classes, please go to our class registration page and choose the appropriate age group series.
WHO:Kids who want to learn more about creative expression.
COST: Studio Class Series: $450 for 9 weekly studios in Sept, Oct, Nov
WHAT’S INCLUDED: All supplies and a snack each weekly session
SCHOLARSHIPS: We are able to give partial scholarships to families in need of assistance.
TIME: Weekdays after school until 5:45
DATES: See individual age-group days on registration page
More About our 2021 Fall Kids Studio Classes
This school year, our art classes will focus on the theme of climate change. We will do this in a positive way, through many different mediums. If any student is just not into that as a theme, of course they can create whatever they’d like. Over the course of the 9 weeks of classes, I would like parents to talk about climate change with your kids at home if you are not already doing that, and to discuss positive ways each of us can reduce anxiety and contribute whatever we can to the solutions.
I finalize the schedule of topics for the 9 studio sessions after I talk it over with my students on the first day of art classes. I always try to tailor the art series to what they want to learn. We won’t get to everything on the list this fall, but we can continue during the winter series after Jan 1st, leading up to next year’s 6th Annual Young Voices exhibit. (See gallery of images below for examples of past projects)
- Diving into Color
- Drawing What You See/Drawing What You Feel
- Make Sketching a Habit
- Ongoing Sketchbook challenges
- Plein-Aire Sketching with Natural Science Field Notes (Outdoors)
- How To Go from Realistic to Abstract in a Series
- Two or Three Methods of Monoprinting with a Printing Press (collagraph, shellac plates, painterly printing)
- Embossed Prints with Nature
- Linocut Printmaking
- Spray Paint Positive Graffitti
- Glazing and Layering Acrylic Paintings
- Articulated Paper Creatures & People
- Make Creative and Weird Artist Books
- Move Your Whole Body — Expressionist Painting with Music
- Make Our Own Paint Brushes
- Who Are You? Self-Portraits with Camera and Paint
- The Weird & Wonderful World of Photo Apps — Going Beyond Digital with Photo Apps
- Building Houses with Found Objects & Wood
- Mixed-Media Sculpture with Wood
- Ginormous Paintings! Painting Very Very Large
- Assemblage in box frames
- Masks from plaster face casting
- Wood, wire and nylon stockings sculptures
- Wire Self portraits
- Yupo paper and paint, charcoal, pencil
- Collage on Wood Panels
- Cast Cloth Relief Sculptures
Age Groups & Class Days
KIDS 1 AGES 6-7 Mondays 3 – 5:30
KIDS AGES 8 – 9 Tuesdays 3:30- 5:45 or 6
KIDS MIXED AGES 7 – 10 Wed 3:30- 5:45 or 6
TWEENS AGES 10-12 Thurs 3:30- 5:45 or 6
TEENS AGES 13-16 Fridays 3:30- 5:45 or 6
We want to make sure every child has the opportunity to learn creativity and artful expression. We are able to give a handful of partial scholarships to families in need. Scholarship recipients are asked to volunteer at the gallery, in the classroom or at events. If you need a scholarship for your child, please select one of the scholarship options when you register for a class. You will receive an emailed scholarship form after you have paid, and should bring the completed form to the first class. We are happy to answer any questions you may have about scholarships, by text, phone or email.
Covid -19 Measures in Place at 1+1=1 Gallery & Classroom
- Small class size to 5 students (max) per group allowing for plenty of social distancing space. Classroom tables will be arranged to allow for 6 feet of space or more between everyone.
- Each student will have their own bin in our classroom, with their own supplies. This way we don’t have to constantly sanitize every paint brush, oil pastel and carving tool. Supplies provided by us.
- We’ll emphasize washing hands, not getting too close to each other and making sure high-touch surfaces are cleaned regularly. (eg bathroom, door knobs, etc.)
- Masks required for all unvaccinated students. We have a HPA air filter running at all times. I really want to protect all of us as best we can. ♥
*Please remember that our entire educational program is subject to change based on information we receive from the CDC and Montana Health Department, for the health and safety of our community. If we must cancel a class, or move to online Art Zooms, we will be glad to refund your registration fee, or give you credit for future classes at 1+1=1.