Junk Journals with Judy Kline: a One-Day Workshop, $80, limited to 6 participants, Date TBA
Ready for a relaxing afternoon of making art in a small group?
Well, we have just the thing for you! At the end of this one-day workshop you will have a fabulous fabric covered (sewn) junk journal with lots of pages and pockets to write thoughts, collect quotes, poems or lists and loads of unlined papers for sketching. Make one for yourself, or to gift to someone special.
Using junk mail and other materials from our instructor and things you may have lying around the house you can make a completely unique and somewhat quirky junk journal. And not to worry – if you don’t sew, that’s totally okay! Judy has pre-sewn enough covers so everyone can have one they like – and there is just a tiny bit of hand sewing to make it yours. Judy’s style of junk journals have ties to hold everything together – and truly, by the time you’ve filled your journal you’ll be happy to have the tie!
Techniques you will learn:
Sewing on paper; index-card-a-day; making whimsical tags; collage; making a “matchbook” using scraps; coffee paper staining, mini-folders and making fold outs. Judy will bring a ton of supplies, including pre-sewn journal covers for each participant. You will be able to embellish and add your special touch to the covers! Students will be asked to bring some tools. (See supply list below.)
Examples of materials available for the pages:
Old catalog envelopes, used window envelopes, coffee stained paper, old file folders, clear cellophane, saved wrapping paper and scraps of fabric.
- Date: TBA – subscribe to our emails about classes, to be the first to know when we set the date!
- Time: 10am to 4pm (plan to arrive around 9:40 to settle in with a drink before the workshop starts.)
- Tuition: $80 includes supplies and a sewn fabric cover
- Location: 1+1=1 Classroom (rear portion of the gallery)
- Address: 434 North Last Chance Gulch in Helena Montana
- We will provide snacks and beverages. Please bring your own lunch or you can get lunch to-go from a downtown cafe´.
- We have an excellent HEPA air filter and exhaust fans running in the classroom all the time, plus if the day is warm, we will also have the front door open so lots of fresh air and air exchange. We also have lots of room for all participants to spread out in the classroom. If you would be more comfortable, please feel free to bring a face mask.
We have plenty of pencils, rulers, scissors, brushes and glue. It would be helpful if you bring your own stapler. Optional but recommended tool: a paper cutter. Also you might want to bring your favorite washi tapes, your favorite heavy weight double-sided scrapbook papers, extra used business size window envelopes (we will have some available), copies of old photos and other ephemera that means something to you. For the sewn covers, bring anything you think would look cool and be able to be stitched onto the fabric (button, beads, trinkets, old earrings, lace, other trims, etc) We will have plenty of materials on hand, so don’t worry if you can’t bring the optional things.
She calls herself a creativity explosion! Judy Kline, the Red Queen, is no shrinking violet, Judy is drawn to vibrant color as a moth to a flame, but she also loves the calm and soothing effect of pale colors like ecru, pink and vintage laces and trims. Her spectrum of work spans from traditional to avant garde.
Judy works in a studio in the former Free Studio building on Logan Street (now under new ownership as The Heath) She is known for her artful, whimsical handmade jewelry, sewn mixed media pieces and greeting cards. She shows her art jewelry at 1+1=1 Gallery during their annual BODY exhibit and annual Holiday Gift Show plus year-round, Judy sells her sweeeet handmade (often hand sewn) greeting cards at 1+1=1.
Judy will teach you techniques to awaken your creativity, and you’ll come away with a fun journal to fill up or to gift to someone special.